Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Dare To Say Yes to Life! by Dr. Diane Hindman

I was searching for a file when I came across this link. The post is 3 years' old but still relevant to today. Admittedly I haven't seen the movie 'Yes, Man' or read the book 'Eat, Pray, Love'; however, without having done either I think something can still be taken from the following. To see the original post, click here.
Dare To Say Yes to Life!

2009 begins for me with a challenge to myself and to you. Dare to say yes to life! How many of us have been sitting on the sidelines watching our lives pass us by and wishing things would change each year. Wishing for more money, a more fulfilling relationship, more time with our family, more satisfaction in our career, better health… the list goes on and on. Well, it's time for a change. After about seven years of reading and studying as many personal development/self-help/business success/positive psychology/energy medicine/spirituality books that I could get my hands on, it has finally sunk in that they all say the same thing. You can wish and visualize for what you want all day long, but to really manifest it - you need to change who you are and what you do on a daily basis. The three requirements for manifestation: desire, belief and expectancy. The steps you need to take every day: 1. know what you want and really want it; 2. discipline your thoughts to remain focused and not be distracted or talked out of it (by yourself or others); 3. bring your dream into full alignment with your soul mission; 4. take action and follow through with growing into the person you need to be in order to manifest that vision. That's why it's time for a change.

So, what does dare to say yes to life mean? It means truly realizing that we have a limited number of days here in this lifetime and it's about time we did something about it. It means creating your future now and taking advantage of all of the amazing opportunities that come your way. So, where is all this mojo-filled momentum coming from you ask? How many of you have seen Jim Carrey's new movie, "Yes Man"? Well, I never thought I'd be basing an article, let alone my life, off of something I saw in Hollywood - let alone a Jim Carrey movie. Generally, I think he's pretty funny, but I like him in little doses and he is the type of actor that most people think is either hilarious or ridiculous. "Yes Man" is one of those movies that you go to see because you're in the mood for a good laugh and this one will have you in hysterics. But beneath the comedy lies an interesting concept to ponder - what if we had to say yes to anything that was asked of us? What opportunities would arise, what experiences would we have, what would be the worst that could happen and what amazing things might happen? I found myself thinking how fitting that this movie was released in a time of deep doom and gloom that's hanging over most of the world's population.

Then I got to thinking… what if we were to practice this even on one tenth the level that he did. How many times do we say no to opportunities that could change our lives because we were too scared, too tired, too worried about what others would think; because we couldn't afford it, didn't have the time or had too many other obligations? Wouldn't it be great to have the ability to say yes more often, even if we were a little unsure about whether we wanted to do it or not? How would our belief systems change if we started saying yes to more opportunities? My challenge to myself and to you this month is to say yes to at least one new thing that could potentially improve the quality of your life. You never know what could be behind the next door. And after all, isn't it about the journey then what's at the end of the road?

I'd love to hear from you, please email me and tell me what you dared to say yes to this month! A great book about a woman who truly said yes to life is "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert - a moving story of her journey to find herself. © 2009 Dr. Diane Speaks

And the LORD answered me: "Write the vision; make it plain upon tablets, so he may run who reads it. (Habakkuk 2:2 Good News Bible)

5 comments:

  1. He is such a great actor! I love half his movies and the Mr. love all his movies. :)

    you are correct. We need to dare to say yes... yes to something new, yes to stepping out of our comfort zone... YES!

    thanks for sharing in the Blogger Care Group!

    Marie
    @spreadingJOY
    spreading-joy.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Marie, and thank you for the Blogger Care Group! As for me, I'm learning to say yes by pushing past the excuses.

    {{HUGS}},
    Clarissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this inspiring post. Something I need to continually keep working on....saying yes & believing I CAN do things. Sometimes fear gets in the way but I need to overcome that. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly didn't know that verse from Habakkuk. No wonder writing down your dreams is really powerful.

    Great read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful post!!! I have said yes to finally putting together an ebook to drive email subscriptions on my blog. Thank you so much for this posts. I'm going to put those four steps on my door where I can see them every day! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete