Thursday, February 4, 2010

Chasing Pavements aka Chasing Dreams

This entry was inspired by a song I was introduced to this week. Its name is "Chasing Pavements" by the NeoSoul artist Adele. While it's not a song of the Christian faith, I was intrigued by the video. I had not seen choreography performed in such a manner and I thought it was quite artistic. It takes a creative mind to choreograph a piece on the ground but make it look as if the dancers are standing upright. (To see the video, click here).

However, the chorus is what really caught my attention. The words are
Should I give up or should I just keep chasing pavements
Even if it leads nowhere?
Or would it be a waste, even if I knew my place
Should I leave it there?
Should I give up or should I just keep chasing pavements
Even if it leads nowhere?
Although the artist is referring to love and relationships, I related these words to life and the life changes we can experience. Especially those changes involving personal growth.

We all have our comfort zones, but comfort zones can become a trap. Do we continue to stay in them because we know our place? In comfort zones, we know what to expect from others and they know what they expect from us. Yet, what if those expectations are no longer fulfilling us as individuals? Do we give up and continue to stay in our comfort zones or do we leave them to chase after pavements?

What is chasing after pavements in terms of life changes? It's chasing after our dreams or the desires and longings of our hearts. However, chasing after dreams and desires could lead us nowhere. So do we continue to stay in our comfort zones, even though we know and feel that our lives are becoming a waste, or do we leave them there to chase after our dreams?

Personally, I say chase after those dreams, because you'll learn far more about yourself chasing than you will remaining in your comfort zone. And what's even better? There's a great possibility that you will run into the very thing you're chasing after.


11 The more easily you get your wealth, the sooner you will lose it. The harder it is to earn, the more you will have.
12 When hope is crushed, the heart is crushed, but a wish come true fills you with joy. (Proverbs 13:11-12 GNB)

No comments:

Post a Comment